10 Style Resolutions We're Making This New Year
We’ve all been there: It’s New Year’s Eve and we find ourselves vowing to change something for the coming year. Perhaps you want to hit the gym, attack a big project at work, or take a spontaneous vacation. Or maybe, if you’re anything like us, you resolve to finally get your wardrobe in check. Because, let’s be honest, it could definitely use a little TLC right about now.
As we enter 2016, we are armed with a long list of fashion resolutions to kick start the New Year. While we all want to toss clothing we haven’t worn in a while, and infuse a little more life into our current wardrobes (don’t worry, those are still on the list!), our resolutions go way beyond the traditional go-tos. Read them all below and pick out a few you want to tackle yourself!
- Step out of your comfort zone and try a bold trend. At least once.
- Appreciate the essentials. It may be the year to try new things, but infuse them into your look one at a time, taking care to build your 2016 wardrobe of essentials first, head-turning trends second.
- Trade in your never-take-them-off daily earrings in favor of an ear party.
- Force yourself to wear more color, especially on those days you just want to slip into head-to-toe black.
- Do a full closet clean-out. Anything you haven’t worn in the last year goes.
- Take better care of the clothing you love most. Listen up, ladies! That means trips to the tailor and shoe repair before your favorite pieces are too far gone.
- Throw your grandmother’s fashion faux pas out the window: Wear suede in the summer, pair deep black with hues of navy, sport pajamas outside, and rock white after labor day.
- While on the subject of our grandmothers, look to her for wardrobe inspiration. 2016 is the year to try a neck scarf, midi skirt, and statement brooches.
- Buy less, but shop more smartly. An investment piece is certainly not a decision to make flippantly, but raise your sophistication level for 2016 by avoiding thoughtless fast fashion purchases.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously—both in your wardrobes and in life.
To start 2016 with your most stylish foot forward:
A Week’s Worth of Work Outfits to Get 2016 Off to a Chic Start
Cute and Casual Winter Outfit Ideas: 7 Looks for When You Just Want to Be Cozy
These Are the Trends Everyone Will Be Wearing in 2016